IOUNet is an idea that I have been working on since 2014 when I first posted about the potential for an exchange system that doesn't need money. Earlier this year, I made a lot of progress - with help from Anthropic's Claude - and had a new website iou-net.org that provides a wealth of information about the idea. I did a couple of posts about IOUNet here, on the 17th April, and then again on the 6th May, following a presentation of IOUNet that I gave as a plenary lecture at a conference in Fez. The talk is available on YouTube and has been seen 1167 times so far.
Rather naively, I had assumed that it would be enough to have the website online and links from the Fez conference for the idea to take off. But that take off never really happened.
That said, I'm still hopeful and the project has continued to move forward.
Firstly, I had a planetary level simulation of IOUNet that was running continuously on a single MacStudio at home for nearly 6 months. The simulation was complete overkill - with 10 billion users, doing around 20 million IOUs a second continuously. A couple of days ago, I decided to end the run, and relaunch with a more sensible version that again simulates 10 billion users, but where the number of IOUs processed per second is only around 350,000 - corresponding to an average of 3 IOUs per user per day. This is a sensible number because even someone sending IOUs for all their waking activity would only manage around 10-20 a day, whereas there will be a lot of people who only use the system rarely. You can see the new simulation here.
But, for the record, here is the final screenshot for phase 1 of the planetary simulation.
In 179 days, the simulation had handled a staggering 292 billion human years of cooperation! In addition, I was running a complete "Jubilee" where everyone in the system is reset to zero every two hours. The simulation did a total of 1943 complete Jubilees. As I say - complete overkill. But it makes the point that the calculations needed to run IOUNet are trivial - and can easily be handled by a single desktop computer. Sure, for phase 1, my MacStudio was using 24 of its 28 CPU cores and lots of memory - but it didn't even get hot!
For the new phase 2 simulation, my MacStudio is hardly working at all - CPU cores usage is a few percent, and the CPU is running on less than 7 watts. And, with 350K IOUs per second, I estimate that the entire traffic could be handled by my 1Gb second fibre optic ethernet connection.
How is this possible? It's because the basic operations needed to process the IOUs are very simple. Each basic IOU only requires a minimum of 40 bytes of data, although this could increase to 128 or even 512 bytes if you wanted to include lots of additional information. At 40 bytes that's about 110 Mb/s — even the richest 512-byte version would need only a little more than a gigabit. That's still trivial. And the only thing the system needs for the cancelling operation is each user's net position. At jubilee time, the users with large positive positions get users with large negative positions to do something for them. They then send an IOU for the time spent, which cancels out the debt. If you do that once for every user in the system, you can reset the entire system back to zero in very little time. Magic! If you log in to the phase 2 simulation at midnight or noon (CEST) you can watch this happen live. It takes a few minutes to go from having over 9 billion users with active accounts to zero. Meanwhile, all the positive cooperative human activity has been done and "paid for" without any need for money to change hands.
The phase 1 and phase 2 simulations were surprisingly realistic. The 10 billion users are dispatched geographically, and you can click to see the breakdown by continent, country, region and even to the level of the department in the case of France. For example, in the image below, you can see the number of minutes of human cooperation for Haute Garonne, the department where I live, after just a couple of days of simulation.
In the next figure, you can see a breakdown by activity type - showing the percentage of activity that was in the general category of "Home and Garden", and within that, the proportion that corresponds to "Childcare and Family"Of course, all of this is totally fictional - I just programmed the system to allocate activity according to a set of plausible settings. But the point is that exactly the same information would be available if the system was running real activity. One of the big advantages of using an IOUNet style system is that, unlike economic analysis that relies on Gross Domestic Product (GDP) which only factors in activity that is paid for using conventional money, IOUNet includes all forms of human activity. Vital activities that include caring for the elderly that simply don't count in conventional economics are now given the importance they deserve.
Another new feature that I want to point out is the latest version of the basic IOUDemo code that you can find by clicking here iou-net.org/ioudemo.
The new version has been seriously improved. You set the number of users, and the number of IOUs per users and get a series of IOUs between the users, each with a specific label. In the figure below, we have 5 users and 5 IOUs each resulting in a ranking where Dan, Bob and Emily are all net positive, whereas Carol and Alice are net negative







No comments:
Post a Comment