28 Feb 2015

Fixing the Economic System - a new Youtube presentation

Last Tuesday, I gave a lunchtime seminar at the prestigious Toulouse School of Economics.  I'd already invited myself to give a talk there back in March 2012, but on that occasion only four people turned up to hear me present my ideas on replacing the current tax system by a Flat Rate Universal Financial Transaction Tax.

This time, the turn out was much better, and there were about 20 people present. This was the title and abstract for my talk:

“Can a cognitive neuroscientist and amateur economist say anything of interest to real economists?”

Since the summer of 2010, I have become increasingly interested (some would say obsessed) with the economy. I have devoted thousands of hours to reading up on the subject, I’ve posted 480 pieces on my blog, which has had over 165,000 visits, produced 24 Youtube videos, given a TEDx talk on Tax reform, set up an association called “Monnaie Honnête” which is a member of the International Movement for Monetary Reform, and created an online exchange system called “OWE’M’ that allows credit creation by Citizens using an IOU based system. But, so far, I have had very little opportunity to get feedback from real economists. This talk could be the chance for the economists to prove to me that I have been talking garbage. Alternatively, there might be some useful ideas in there somewhere…. who knows? As a firm believer in the power of biological evolution, my personal belief is that the best strategy is to generate lots of variations, and let natural selection do the rest. I would claim that I have been generating lots of options, and that some of those ideas may be of interest.



You may well be wondering how things went. Well, not badly, I think. I was prettty pleased with what I had prepared. Indeed I had put a lot of effort into getting my key ideas into the talk, since I realized that it was fairly unlikely that I would get another chance in the near future.

I've now had time to generate a Youtube presentation of the same talk and so you will be able to find out what I said - if you have 60 minutes to spare.

Here's a link to the Youtube site


As you can see, I decided not to use the same title as I used at the Toulouse School of Economics seminar - I called it simply "Fixing the Economic System", although in fact the content is just about identical.  Do feel free to make comments, either here, or on the Youtube site.

No comments:

Post a Comment