20 Dec 2010

Trading on the London Stock Exchange

I just wrote to the people at the Bank for International Settlements to ask why the data for the London Stock Exchange was missing from their latest reports (and has been missing since 2006). I got a rapid reply from a nice person who told me that the data in the report was provided by the Bank of England but that they don't currently report such figures. So, I had a look on the London Stock Exchange's own site where you can download everything. I have just compiled the total trading values on the LSE's UK Main market and the AIM market for the year ending end of november 2010. Here they are:


Yes, you read correctly. That's over 2 trillion dollars. A 1% transaction tax on that would already generate an extra 13 billion for the UK government in revenue.... enough to pay for a few social services.

No comments:

Post a Comment